Monitors can keep track of a variety of attributes, processes, settings, statuses, events, and much more. They can raise an alert when the device they are deployed to is not operating within specified parameters. They can be applied to a single device, or they can be created at the account or site level as part of a monitoring policy, and can target specific filters and groups at either level. A monitoring policy is the best way to monitor your devices, as it allows you to apply one or more monitors to multiple devices in your account.
Monitors can be created and managed in the following places:
- Current UI: on the Device > Monitor tab > Monitors radio button. Monitors created here are directly associated with the selected device, but not with a monitoring policy. Refer to Create a monitor and Manage monitors.
- New UI: on the Device Summary page. Refer to Monitors - New UI.
- When you are creating or editing a monitoring policy. Refer to Create a Monitoring policy in the current UI and Monitoring policy in the New UI.
- When you are creating an ESXi Policy. Refer to Create an ESXi policy in the current UI and ESXi policy in the New UI.
A Datto RMM policy is a framework by which you define the technical model behind a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). A policy allows you to do the following:
- Define something you want to do, for example, configure a setting or run a monitor.
- Define which devices you want to target by using filters and groups.
- Deploy any changes immediately or wait for the changes to be automatically deployed later.
NOTE The Policies tab is available for the following device types: server/desktop/laptop, ESXi host, network device.
- Account policies are visible at both the account and site level and can be enabled or disabled for a specific site.
- Policies created at the site level will only be visible on that site's Policies page. Site policies do not replace account polices but work in conjunction with them.
- At the device level, account and site policies that target that specific device are displayed.
For information about policies and how to create and manage them, refer to Policies - New UI.